It is a common myth that living sustainably requires you to make drastic life changes. Just making simple swaps can help the planet significantly. You can do your part by simply refusing plastic bags at the grocery store or by taking a reusable glass jar with you the next time you visit the coffee shop. It is that simple!
Sustainable products are slowly becoming the norm as more people become conscious of their eco-impact. We have compiled a list of eco friendly products that will help you kickstart your sustainable journey.
Eco Friendly Kitchen Essentials
Here is the list of some of the best eco-friendly products for plastic free kitchen.
(Price Range: $12 - $14)
With excellent absorbent capacity, bamboo microfiber dishcloths readily replace single-use paper towels. Paper rolls are known to contribute the most to kitchen waste. A lot of energy goes into their production, only for them to end up as litter.
Bamboo fibre cloth enjoys the following benefits over a paper towel-
- Antibacterial in nature: Bamboo plant is known to resist pests and microbial growth. Thus, making bamboo cloths an essential in the kitchen. Synthetic microfiber cloths are known to harbour germs if left unwashed for a couple of hours. This problem does not arise with bamboo dishcloths. It is best to keep them clean, nevertheless.
- Water absorption capacity: This property allows you to wash your dishes with minimal need for dish soap.
- Suitable for general washing: The texture of bamboo washcloths is excellent to scrub off tough stains on pots and pans. As they are stain and stink resistant, cleaning the washcloth is easy.
(Price Range: $12 - $24)
Cling wraps are made of Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC). It'sIt's a type of clear plastic that is used in many single-use items. PVC can cause hormonal and reproductive disorders in both animals and humans. One of the best alternatives for plastic cling wraps is silicone lids. Silicone stretch lids are easy to use and are dishwasher safe. One pack of silicone covers will last you years.
Here is why you should consider using silicone stretch lids over plastic wraps.
- Tensile: Silicone lids have excellent stretchability. They can tightly cover the top of any container and prevents contents from spilling all over your benchtop or inside your fridge.
- Does not leach chemicals: Silicone is inert, unlike plastic. Plastic wrappers constantly leach chemicals like BPA into our food. This doesn't happen with eco-stretch lids.
- Microwave Safe: Many Stretchable food cover lids made of silicone can be used in ovens and microwaves.
To learn more about silicone stretch lids, read our review of best silicone stretch lid brands in Australia. Link below.
(Price Range: $14 - $30)
Another great way to store food is by using beeswax food wraps. They are made from chemical-free fabric, beeswax, resin, and plant oils. Avoid wrapping your sandwich with cling wrap, and consider switching to this reusable option.
- Compostable: You can compost beeswax clothes at the end of the lifecycle.
- Resists germs: Plant oils like jojoba oil are antibacterial. Food wrapped in beeswax pouches remains fresher for longer.
- Economical: With proper care, these eco-friendly wraps can last up to a year.
(Price Range: $9 - $20)
Small open netted bags were made with synthetic material before eco-friendly options such as RPET and Jute came into the picture. You can choose from an array of mesh produce bags; almost every eco-friendly products store offers them. Some of the most popular brands that sell mesh bags are Ever Eco, Activated Eco, BeEco, Go for Zero etc. Mesh bags can be found in materials such as organic cotton, recycled plastic and so on.
- Washable: Simply toss the bags with your laundry for a machine wash.
- Expandable: The net-like structure allows them to accommodate more groceries.
- Ease of use: The string bags come with long and short handles. You can choose one that suits your needs.
(Price Range: $18 - $24)
Bread needs to be kept in an airy environment. Otherwise, it goes stale. Plastic and paper bags do not let bread breathe. On top of that, they leach chemicals into our food. Bread bags made from linen and other organic material provide breathing space. Avoid food waste by choosing options that preserve food for longer.
- Works excellent for takeaway: The bags are foldable and easy to carry to the bakery.
- Keeps moulds away: Bread grows mould when stored in airtight bags. The fabric of food bags is perfect for keeping the produce fresh.
- Works as a snack pouch: These pouches can also be turned into snack bags.
(Price Range: $9 - $30)
Reusable grocery and shopping bags are great alternative to plastic bags and since the ban on single use plastic bags in Australian supermarkets, it has become more important than ever to buy a reusable grocery bag. Grocery bags are bigger than produce bags and can store upto 10kgs of grocery.
- Made from sustainable material: Shopping bags are increasingly being made from either compostable or recycled material. This ensures no waste is generated.
- Long-lasting: Paper bags get torn when filled with heavy fruits and snacks. Sustainable grocery bags can hold serious stuff without breaking.
- Bulk storage: The bags are perfect for bulk storage as they come in large sizes too.
(Price Range: $7 - $29)
Reusable mats are a good eco friendly gift for bakers. It is an alternative to parchment paper. Silicone baking mats are easy to clean, store and are dishwasher safe.
- Do not let cookies burn: Cookies get burned from the pan's heat at the bottom. Silicone mats provide an even cooking area. This helps the heat to be transferred equally while baking.
- Easy to clean: These non-stick mats ensure that food does not stick. This makes them easy to clean.
- Durable: Your cooking mat can last for 2-3 years with proper care.
To learn more about eco friendly silicone baking mats, read our review of best silicone oven baking mats starting in Australia. Link below.
(Price Range: $5 - $19)
Bamboo brushes are one of the essentials for eco-cleaning. By using this eco alternative, we can minimise microplastic that breaks off from brushes while cleaning. Some of the bamboo cleaning brushes include-
- Bottle Cleaning Brush: The long handles of these brushes thoroughly clean the bottles. The head is made from coconut husk, which doesn't scratch the surface. You can use these brushes to clean other utensils like glasses and reusable drinks cups.
- Pot Scrubbing Brush: The brushes have an easy grip that helps you effectively scrub pots and pans. The best part is that these can be used on non-stick surfaces too!
- Straw Cleaning Brush: The coconut husk brush is suitable to clean all types of straws. Their flexibility allows you to clean tough spots of smoothie cup lids etc.
(Price Range: $59 - $129)
Kitchen compost bins help us cut down food waste. Their small size makes them perfect for those living in urban areas. These can go under your kitchen sink or even inside a closet. You don't have to worry about the smell as they are airtight. Here are a few reasons why you should consider composting-
- Cleaner oceans: Compost acts as a water filter in the soil. When water moves through the compost soil, it gets cleaner until it reaches the sea.
- Water retention capacity: Composts increase the water content in the soil. This helps the topsoil not to get washed away due to heavy rain etc.
- Reduces emission of greenhouse gases: Food scraps that end up in landfills release methane. This leads to global warming.
If you would like to learn how to start using compost bins at home, click the link below to read our guide.
Eco Friendly Bath and Natural Skin Care ProductsHere is the list of some of the best eco friendly bath and skin care products that are available on our eco friendly products store.
Traditional toothbrushes can take as much as 400 years to break down. Here are the reasons why wooden toothbrushes are essential for plastic-free dental care-
- Low energy production: Unlike their plastic counterparts, bamboo toothbrushes are produced at a low economic cost.
- Biodegradable: Natural toothbrushes can be easily composted at home. Just break the wooden handle and toss it in your compost bin.
- More hygienic than plastic brushes: Plastic toothbrushes are prone to bacterial growth. Eco-friendly brushes resist mould growth.
Traditional floss is made of synthetic material that harms are teeth and gums. It takes 100 years for it even to begin decomposing. Floss that is made from natural fibre is better for the environment.
- Non-abrasive: Bamboo floss is free from PFC or perfluorocarbon.
- Sustainable packaging: Natural floss is packed with zero-waste material like glass or compostable cardboard.
- Breaks down quickly: Fibre floss can get decomposed within 60 days.
All-natural toothpaste is better for your teeth as they are free from artificial dyes and chemicals. These are a safer option for kids who can accidentally swallow the paste.
- Toxin-free: Synthetic toothpaste contain fluorides which make our gums weaker. Organic toothpaste is free from toxins.
- Plant-based ingredients: Ingredients like peppermint and other herbs strengthen our gums and refresh our mouth.
- Natural whitening: Ingredients like baking soda and silica in toothpaste tablets remove stains from our teeth. They gradually whiten the teeth without harming the enamel.
Each year, about 50 billion tonnes of period-related waste end up in landfills. Tampons and pads are difficult to recycle. Their improper disposable leads to unsanitary working conditions for waste workers. Menstrual cups are safer for your health and the planet.
- Reusable: Period cups are reusable. Wash them thoroughly after each use and use them again.
- Convenient: Single-use menstrual products that need to be brought every month. Switching to a cup is convenient. All you need is one cup that will last for about 5-7 years.
- Zero irritation: It is common to develop rashes due to pads and tampons. With a menstrual cup, you can say goodbye to all these problems.
If you want to learn more about Menstrual Cups, click the link below to read our guide to reusable period products.
The makeup industry creates a ton of waste each year. From chemical-filled serums to makeup rounds, the list of disposable items produced is endless. Cotton rounds pollute the most as they are used daily. Many makeup wipes are also soaked in chemicals. These can cause skin irritation and lead to breakouts.
Reusable makeup remover pads made from GOTS certified cotton are washable. They can be reused over and over without producing any waste.
Konjac Sponge is made from the root of a vegetable found in South Asia. It is a beauty tool that is used for cleansing and removing makeup.
- 100% zero-waste: Konjac Sponges are completely biodegradable as they are made from a vegetable.
- Hydrating: Konjac sponges have glucomannan in them. This is a natural moisturiser that hydrates the skin.
- Anti-microbial: The antibacterial properties of the sponge will help you reduce acne and other related skin problems.
If you want to learn more about Konjac Sponges and how to use them, click the link below to read more.
Annually, 2 billion plastic razors and cartridges are discarded. Razor parts are made from different materials. It isn't easy to separate each and recycle. Safety razors provide a solution to this problem.
- Kind to your skin: Disposable razors cause razor burns. The multiple blades are designed to pull the hair and then cut. This process irritates the skin. In contrast, the single edge of safety razors gives you a closer shave.
- Suitable for sensitive areas: These razors can also be used in sensitive areas.
- Saves money: Investing in a double edge razor that lasts long is better than purchasing cartridges every few weeks.
We recently reviewed some of the best safety razors brands in Australia. Click the link below to read our review.
Shaving soaps soften the hair, which makes it easier to cut. It is essential to choose a naturally made soap due to its lower eco-impact.
- Eco-friendly packaging: Conventional foams are packed in plastic bottles that end up in landfills. On the other hand, shaver soaps come in recyclable packaging.
- Moisturises: The chemicals found in traditional gels dry the skin after use. The plant oils in eco-shave bars soothe the skin after rinsing. These work as aftershave balms at the same time.
- Long-lasting: As these soaps are concentrated, they can last for more than 6 months.
We recently reviewed some of the best shaving soaps in Australia. Click the link below to read our review.
Most of the commercial body washes at your local drugstores are detergents. The ingredients used in these soaps are harmful to our skin. Unlike synthetic soaps, natural soap bars break down easily and do not pollute our waterways. Handmade soaps are both better for your skin and the planet.
- Pure ingredients: The plant oils and kinds of butter in these soap bars promote healthy skin.
- Aromatherapy benefits: The essential oils used in eco-bars provide the benefits of aromatherapy. They also relieve aches and relax the muscles.
- Pocket-friendly: Using natural wash bars profoundly nourishes your skin. This will eliminate the need for additional moisturisers and lotions.
A while back we reviewed best natural soap bar brands in Australia & New Zealand, we have recently updated our blog with new brands that have launched in 2021 & 2022. Click the link below to read our review.
Many times, the quality of soaps degrade when water collects around it. Wooden soap savers save natural soaps from getting washed away too. A low-quality soap dish can swell when it comes in contact with moisture. It is best to choose bamboo dishes as they do not swell and break.
Reasons why bamboo soap dishes are better-
- Antibacterial: Bamboo is known for its antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. No germs linger around your soap between washes.
- Dries quickly: Bamboo trays are moisture-resistant. This makes way for faster drying of your soap tray.
- Compostable: Send your wooden dishes to a recycling facility at the end of your lifespan or compost it yourself.
Eco Friendly Reusable ProductsHere is the list of some of the best eco friendly, sustainable and reusable products.
The small steps of sustainability count the most. Saying no to takeaway coffee when you are fighting morning blues is nothing short of a victory! If everyone switches to reusable cups, we can divert 2.5 billion disposables away from landfills each year! Here are some other perks to consider-
- Insulate: Keep cups are insulated to maintain the temperature of your drinks.
- Leakproof: Most insulated coffee cups cup with a tight seal at the mouth. This ensures that no spills take place while taking your coffee on the go.
- Fits standard cup holders: The mugs can easily fit into your car's cup holder etc.
click the link below to learn more about some of the best brands that offer insulated, leak proof reusable stainless steel coffee cups.
Plastic bottles release micro plastics into the water. Insulated and non-insulated bottles are great reusable alternative that can be used in offices and homes alike.
- Crack Resistant: Drinks bottles made from quality stainless steel do not crack when they fall.
- BPA Free: Insulated water bottles do not have a chemical lining inside.
- Condensation Free: The double-walled bottles have a vacuum between the walls. In the absence of air, no temperature change can take place. This means that your cold beverage will not make your bottle sweat.
Plastic drinking straws are too small to get filtered in recycling facilities. These then end up in landfills and oceans. Marine life mistakes them as food and ingests them. There are many environmentally friendly swaps available at many Australian eco shops.
- Different options available: Bamboo, glass, and stainless steel are all great options to choose from.
- Easy to carry: Reusable drinks straws are portable. They can fit inside bags easily. Often, the straws come with carrying pouches and boxes.
- Suitable for all drinks: These straws can be used for both hot and cold beverages.
Takeaway tumblers are perfect for on the go smoothies and coffee. Take them to your favourite cafes for a refill and reduce the use of single-use plastic.
- Made food-grade material: Stainless steel tumblers are made with 18/8 stainless steel, safe for food storage.
- No smell retention: A quality tumbler with straw will not impart flavour. It is odourless and easy to clean.
- Durable: Eco-friendly tumblers are made to last. They are coated with powder to provide extra strength.
Stainless steel lunch boxes are great for storing dry fruits and veggies. Made from premium quality stainless steel, these will last a lifetime.
- Non-porous: Stainless steel bento boxes have a non-porous surface. This means that no chemicals leach inside your food.
- Hygienic: Plastic lunchboxes harbour bacteria inside them over time. This is because the surface is not smooth like stainless steel. Tiny particles of food and soaps get embedded in the surface.
- Multiple uses: You can use these lunchboxes to store leftover food or freeze overripe fruits or veggies. The snack boxes can withstand hot and cold temperatures. The quality will not be affected by it.
Eco friendly Home Décor
Synthetic rugs contribute to indoor pollution. Everyday wear and tear make them release microplastics in the air. They also trap allergens between weaves. Eco-friendly rugs are made from jute, hemp, sisal, and recycled plastic.
- Suitable for wood floors: Eco rugs are soft. They protect your wood flooring from scratches.
- Hypoallergenic: Traditional rugs are not suitable for those who are sensitive to chemicals.
- Earth-friendly tone: Natural rugs give an earth-inspired style to your décor. Their neutral tones match with all interior designs.
We hope our guide to eco-living helped you!