Coffee is an important part of everyday life for many Australian’s, whether you are enjoying a cup at home, out with friends or colleagues or having that all important coffee meeting. What is easily overlooked is the impact that all this delicious coffee is having on our environment. For those keep cup converts, you know what I am talking about. Those oh so convenient disposable coffee cups often contain plastic which does not break down or biodegrade. After plastic bottles, coffee cups are the second largest contributor to litter waste, we use 1 billion disposable cups each year in Australia.
Often the recyclability of cups will depend on the recycling facilities of your local area, so they may still end up in landfill. Compostable cups are great; however, we have few industrial composting facilities in Australia so most of these cups still enter landfill.
Here are a few things you can do to help reduce the amount of takeaway coffee or tea cups entering landfill:
- Avoid takeaway – drink your coffee at home, or have a sit-down coffee in the café
- Bring your own reusable cup
- Say no to a lid – if you don’t need one ask for the coffee without a lid
- Where possible use a sustainable cup made from eco-friendly managed plantation paper board and make sure you separate the lid when you’re done
We are here to help you find the prefect reusable coffee mug so you can enjoy your coffee guilt free and in a more sustainable way. Whether you are after the Rolls Royce of coffee cups or something simple that gets the job done, we have you covered.
These cups have really taken off since launching and you have probably seen these around in cafes. The HuskeeCup has been engineered for cafés to help them phase out single use takeaway cups and switch to a cup exchange system. They are made of a biopolymer which recycles the coffee husks which are a by-product of coffee processing.
- Repurpose waste: the innovative design makes something previously seen as waste into something useful. What is more eco than that!
- Stackable: the cups are easily stackable which is perfect for cafés and also those with limited space at home.
- Dishwasher safe: these cups are very durable and designed to be washed several times a day.
- Chip and heat resistant: the unique fins design make the cups very difficult to chip and they keep your coffee hot for longer than a takeaway cup.
- BPA free: the cup is non-toxic and free from BPA
- Lids design: the lids are universal and work on any size cup, they also double as saucers.
- Price: for the durability and feel these cups are a good price at $20 for the largest cup you are getting a good deal.
- Colours: the cups only come in 2 colours natural or charcoal, however this is because they do not use any dyes just a natural husk colour or one with charcoal pigment.
- Feel: they feel like a heavier version of a plastic cup and have quite a thick rim so those who love the clean feel of glass or ceramic may not like it.
Frank Green Reusable Cups
Made and designed in Australia, Frank Green Coffe cups are high-quality reusable cup that looks great and keeps your coffee hot, Frank Green is worth a look. They have 3 different styles of cup, all of which have a lot going for them.
- Available in various sizes: small (175 ml capacity), regular (295 ml capacity) and large (475 ml capacity)
- Spill proof: they have a convenient one hand push button design for easy drinking on the go and are spill proof.
- Retains drink temperature: the newer ceramic cup is triple walled with vacuum insulated to keep your coffee hot or cold for hours. The ceramic inner lining is designed to ensure that you get the purest flavour from your coffee. The traditional cup is double-walled stainless steel.
- Odour and stain resistant: for those coffee connoisseurs, the stain and odour resistant lining ensures you get the most out of your brew.
- BPA Free: the cups are all BPA free, FDA & EU approved safe materials can be recycled at the end of their life
- Fully customisable: you can opt for one of the stunning solid colour cups or opt for a personalised mug and choose the colours of your lid, button and base.
- Durable: these cups are made to last and withstand dropping and the daily grind so your investment will be worth it.
- Dishwasher safe lid: easy to clean lid is safe to put on the top rack of your dishwasher, you will need to hand wash the cup.
- Price: Starting at $32.95 + shipping for the smallest size original cup, you can end up paying over $50 for your cup. You are paying for quality, but it is not cheap.
- Size: due to the additional layers of insulation you may feel that you are getting less coffee and more cup, as cafes charge based on the size of the cup this may mean you pay the same amount for less coffee.
- Lid: the opening for drinking the coffee is quite small, beware of hot drinks as the insulation will keep your drink hotter for longer.
- Washing: the lids are dishwasher safe, however the stainless steel and ceramic bases are hand wash only which can be a deal breaker for some.
Cheeki Coffee Cups
Cheeki is an Australian brand from Sydney’s Northern Beaches which specialises in reusable stainless-steel products. They have a range of coffee cups and mugs in is a variety of shapes and sizes. We will be assessing the 350ml and 450ml coffee mugs:
- One click leak-proof lid: their innovative lid design allows for 360 degree drinking and a lid which won’t leak and can be opened easily from one hand.
- Car cup holder friendly: fits easily inside your car cup holder for easy on the go drinking, perfect for you daily commute.
- Insulated: new triple wall vacuum insulation and copper lock technology keeps your coffee hot for up to 8 hours or cold for up to 12 hours.
- Condensation free and cool to touch: due to the insulation you will not get any condensation and the cups will be cool to touch even when containing hot contents.
- BPA Free: these cups are made with insulated stainless steel and the lids are BPA free.
- Rubber base: soft rubber base for extra stability and durability.
- Hard to clean: Although the cup lid comes apart easily for cleaning, you will need to handwash it, there is also a silicone inner seal which can get residue build up over time.
- Pop up lid functionality: Pop lids are subject to constant wear and tear and will likely need to be replaced after a period.
- Drinking challenges: due to the insulation and style of the lid, it can be hard to tell how hot your coffee is and you may burn yourself.
- Pain chipping issue: Paint on these coffee cups is easily chipped when expose to hot water or if put in dishwasher.
- Slip resistant base: for added stability these cups have a slip resistant base to reduce the risk of spills.
- Lockable screw on lid: enjoy the security of a lockable screw in lid which is spill proof when closed.
- Easy to drink design: this cup is designed to be a new and improved version of the original takeaway cup, which has the easy to drink lid with a click close cover.
- Made with the barista in mind: these cups fit perfectly under standard coffee machines and have the measurement lines inside for baristas.
- Cup Holder friendly: fit easily in standard cup holders.
- Scratch Resistant: high quality scratch resistant body.
- BPA Free: these cups are made with insulated stainless steel and the lid is BPA free.
- Not dishwasher safe: these cups need to be washed by hand.
- Only 2 size options: for those who enjoy and expresso or piccolo the 8oz cup is the smallest size so this may not be the best option for you.
- Hard to clean mouthpiece: you may need to invest in a straw cleaning brush to clean the mouthpiece to ensure you don’t get any residue build up.
Joco Cups are hand crafted from borosilicate glass and are available in a range of sizes from 4oz – 16oz. They have a medical grade silicone lid and grip band for easy cleaning and handling.
- Handcrafted quality: the borosilicate glass is artisan blow, lightweight and strong, offering a quality feel that makes for a good drinking experience.
- Lid options: 3 of the sizes have a newly designed utility lid which allows thicker liquids like smoothies or juices to flow freely, they are also compatible with a straw making the cup more versatile.
- Plastic free design: these cups are totally free of plastic which we love! They are certified non-toxic and BPA free.
- Ergonomic design: the lid is made to avoid any splashing and has a dome shape so you can easily drink without needing to tilt your head.
- Clean: the cups have a clean feel with non-porous and antibacterial materials they offer stain and odour resistance making these glass cups a worthy investment.
- Price point: considering the quality of these cups they are surprisingly affordable, at $29.95 for a 12oz size this is a steal!
- Breakable: although these cups are made of quality glass they are still glass and will break if dropped from a height onto a hard surface.
- Width: as they are made from glass these cups have a heavier feel and are wide rather than tall which means they can be tricker to hold than an insulated stainless steel or huskee cup.
Many with think of this brand as one of the Original reusable coffee cups in Australia. The KeepCup started out in 2009 with a plastic reusable cup but has since branched out into glass and insulated stainless-steel cups.
- Lid design: this lid design is easy to drink from and a offers solid click when fastened to help you know when the lid is secure.
- Spare parts: The components of the cups are removable and available for purchase separately which means you can make the cup last a long time and minimise the need to purchase a new cup.
- Easy grip band: The cup comes with a silicone or cork band which protects you hand from the hot content and makes the cup easier to hold.
- Dishwasher safe: the original and glass versions of the cup without the cork band are dishwasher safe, all the lids are dishwasher safe.
- Barista standard sizes: all the cups are designed to fit barista coffee machines and are easy to use for Baristas.
- Transparency: Keep Cup tells you what is in each component of your cup so you can understand all the materials which go into your cup.
- Swivel part of lid: there is a swivel close clip on the lid which can bend loose over time causing the cup to leak.
- Hard to hold: the glass and plastic versions of the cup can be hot to hold even with the silicone or cork band, the cups are also quite wide which can be tricky for those with small hands.
- Colours: the designs aren’t for everyone, so you may struggle to find a cup design that’s really you.
Luvin Life Bamboo Eco Travel Mug
If you are looking for something lightweight and fun the bamboo travel coffee cup by Luvin Life comes in a range of fun patterns and are great for on the go.
- Designs: available in 10 different patterns you are sure to stand out from the crowd with these funky styles.
- Lightweight: weighing only 180g for a 14oz cup they are extremely easy to carry with you.
- Dishwasher safe: easy to clean, just pop in the dishwasher or hand wash.
- BPA free: made with BPA and phthalate free bamboo fibre reinforced with melamine resin combines with a silicone lid and band for easy grip
- Durable: these cups are solid and built to withstand daily wear and tear
- Size: they are only available in 1 size which may be too big for some at 430ml capacity
- Not leak proof: the lid is a silicone version of a traditional takeaway cup lid so it will leak if tipped on its side.
- Biodegradable: these cups claim to be biodegradable however they are not certified to breakdown in home or industrial composting so how to dispose of them remains unclear.
The most important things to keep in mind when choosing the right cup for you the size, what material you prefer to drink from, how you want to clean the mug and whether you want an insulated cup of not. We hope this blog has helped you to find the best coffee cups Australia has to offer.