Globally, the average family goes through close to over 24 rolls of plastic wrap each year. Today, Australian's use over 10 million plastic bags a day. Of these, 85% of soft plastics from packaging and bags end up in a landfill. Traditional plastic cling wrap is not reusable or biodegradable, which means after a single use it ends up in the bin. This is throwing money away and also adding to our landfill problem.
Food safe silicone covers are a reusable alternative to plastic wrap and are great for food storage. They can create an air tight seal to keep your food fresh for longer, reducing food waste. Silicone food wraps are reusable, easy to clean, and do not leach chemicals into your food.
They stretch to fit over food containers of almost any size and are an economical alternative to cling film. If you have a lid set with a range of sizes you can use them to cover coffee mugs, pots, food cans, plates, bowls, mugs, glass jars and cut fruit and vegetables.
Are silicone lids any good?
Here are some of the benefits of making a switch to reusable covers-
- Environmentally Friendly: Stretchy lids are better than plastic wrappers. They are made from 100% recyclable material. Reduce kitchen waste by phasing out cling films.
- Fits Perfectly: Silicone lids can perfectly wrap the mouth of any container. This creates a tight, leakproof seal. A small sized silicone lid can work as caps to your reusable coffee cups and smoothie tumblers. It is especially great for upcycling old jars as on the go drinks cup.
- Flexible and Strong: The food-grade lids are flexible and made to last. You don’t need to level the food in bowls etc. for them to fit.
- Travel Friendly: These covers make containers spill-safe.
- Easy to clean: Most silicone lids are non-stick. They can easily be cleaned with warm water and soap. Others are made dishwasher safe.
Food safe silicone covers are a reusable alternative to plastic wrap. They are great for food storage. They can create an air tight seal to keep your food fresh for longer. This reduces food waste. Silicone food wraps are reusable, easy to clean, and do not leach chemicals into your food.
They stretch to fit over food containers of almost any size. These features make them an economical alternative to cling film. If you have a lid set with a range of sizes you can use them to cover coffee mugs, pots, food cans, plates, bowls, mugs, glass jars and cut fruit and vegetables.
How long do silicone stretch lids last?
With proper care, your eco silicone lid can last for four to seven years. They are an essential addition to zerowaste kitchens.
Can I microwave with silicone lids on?
Yes! Most silicone food covers are microwave safe. They are also freezer and oven safe. However, it is best to check instruction manual of your brand.
Here are the best reusable food covers.
Looking for a six-pack of reusable silicone lids that will extend the freshness of food? Thetis Silicone Stretch Lids can keep your leftover food, vegetables, or fruits fresh with an air tight seal. Made of 100% food-grade silicone, the covers will not leach any chemicals into your food.
The Thetis Silicone Stretch Lids have a diameter ranging from 2.6 inches to 8.3 inches. A 2.6-inch lid can stretch to 3.5 inches, while the 8.3-inch cover can stretch to 11 inches. They're perfect for containers such as mason jars, plates, bowls, and mugs.
- · Suitable for containers of different sizes
- · Made from food-grade silicone
- · Keeps your food fresh
- · Leak-proof design
- · Not easily deformed
- · Not ideal for square containers
Next is the Eco Lifestyle Silicone Stretch Lid. Available as a 12 pack, the silicone lids come in 6 sizes. You've 2.6 inches, 3.7 inches, 4.5 inches, 5.7 inches, and 6.5 inches.
Super easy to use, these eco-friendly beauties will stretch and stick on any container size creating an airtight seal. Not only will they help to keep your food fresh but prevent accidental spills.
- · Keeps your food fresh
- · Durable
- · Reusable
- · Eco friendly
- · BPA free
- · May pop off when heating up
Are you searching for the perfect Christmas gift? The Unwasted Silicone Stretch Lids are the ideal holiday gift. Packaged in a recyclable box, these food-safe silicone stretch lids also come in a handy storage bag.
Made from platinum grade silicone, they are super stretchy and cover any container - round or square. The thick-ribbed edges help create an airtight, leak-proof seal from salad bowls to dinner plates and cups.
- · Made from platinum grade silicone
- · Perfect for holiday gifts
- · Safer and better than plastic wrap
- · Won't leach nasty chemicals in your food
- · Saves you money
- · Limited Availability
Keep your food tasting great and fresh with the Mockins 12 Pack Silicone Covers. As one of the best silicone food covers, they come in different sizes. You can use them to cover oddly shaped containers of various sizes.
Made from food-grade silicone, they are BPA-free, phthalate-free, and PVC-free. As such, you don't have to worry about nasty chemicals leaching into your food.
- · Money saver
- · Eco friendly
- · Easy to clean
- · Dishwasher safe
- · Microwave safe
- · Occasional fit issues over certain containers
Ideal for rectangular containers, the Longzon 12pcs Silicone Stretch Lids come in 6 different sizes. They're easy to handle and super practical. Made of food-grade safe silicone, they do not leach chemicals in your food and keep your food fresh for longer.
Stackable and waterproof, they save space in your refrigerator. How you may ask. You can stack cups, bowls, and other containers or even place them side by side. Temperature resistant, the lids can withstand a temperature range of -58 degrees F to 450 degrees F.
- · Dishwasher and microwave safe
- · Available in different sizes
- · Easy to fit
- · Freezer safe
- · Food grade safe
- · Lids can sustain permanent stains from foods
6. Seed & Sprout Silicone Stretch Lids
These round silicone food covers come in a set of six. Apart from bowls, they perfectly cover square or rectangle containers. Their flexibility allows them to be wrap anything as big as watermelon. The heat safe lids can withstand high temperature range.
- Long lasting, durable silicone
- Set includes many sizes
- Send your silicone products to Silicone Take Back Program at the end of lifespan
- Microwave Safe
- Dishwasher Safe
- Stains can be difficult to remove
- The smallest size is big on cans
- A little difficult to stretch over big bowls
7. Activated Eco Round Food Covers
The pack of 6 food covers by Activated Eco is 100% free from polycarbonate plastic. The quality of the lids is not affected by temperature change. They are safe to be used in the temperature range of -20°C to 220°C.
The sizes available in this range are: 6.5cm, 9.5cm,11.5cm,14cm,16cm and 20cm.
- Different sizes available
- Elastic design
- Free from toxins like PVC and BPA
- Hassle free cleaning in dishwasher or by handwash
- 100% recyclable packaging used
- Slippery on some bowls
8. Joie 3 Piece Silicone Stretch Lids
The colour coded silicone lids can be easily spotted in fridge. Stretchable and easy to use, the lids keep your leftover fresh for longer. The spill proof lids are perfect to cap your takeaway americano. The set includes 3-inch, 5-inch, and 6.75-inch lid each.
- Airtight seal
- Made from FDA approved silicone
- Dishwasher fuss free cleaning
- Non-stick surface
- Only available in 3 sizes
BeEco stretch lids are lightweight and made from premium silicone. The lids easily seal different container sizes. Say goodbye to single use glad wraps with a set of 6 reusables.
- Stretchable and flexible
- Toxin free, BPA free
- Microwave safe
- Dishwasher safe
- Biodegradable kraft paper packaging
- Affordable and economical
- Plain packaging
10. Ever Eco Silicone Food Covers
The clear silicone lids are great to identify food inside. The design of the lid allows you to press down on centre of lid to create an airtight seal.
The different sizes offered by Ever Eco food covers are: 6.5cm, 9.5cm, 11.5cm, 14.5cm, 16.5cm, 21cm.
- Dishwasher friendly lids
- Microwave and freezing safe
- Perfect eco friendly gift
- FDA approved
- Provides 100% plastic free packaging in Australia
- Product packaging may contain plastic for international order
Silicone stretch lids are a worthwhile investment. They are easy to fit and seal all your containers airtight. Available in different sizes, you can use them to cover different containers, from bowls and cups to plates and other dishes.
Is silicone BPA free? Of course, food grade silicone is BPA free. It's phthalate and latex-free too. As such, it does not leach nasty chemicals in your food or beverages. Want to save money and avoid using plastic wrap?
We highly recommend the food-safe silicone stretch lids reviewed above.