Reusable cutlery sets are a great way to reduce your environmental impact while travelling. Many Aussie brands have created utensils made from bamboo, steel, and other eco-friendly materials. These utensils are perfect for hiking, camping, and everyday use while on the go.
Plastic plates, cups and cutlery are not easy to recycle. Due to the size, shape on composition of plastic cutlery it is difficult for these items to be recycled. According to Sustainability Victoria, these items are often sorted as paper products.
What are the benefits of reusable cutlery sets?
- Waste Free Travel: Plasticware is considered one of the "most deadly" items for marine animals, sea turtles, and birds by Ocean Conservancy. You can do your bit to reduce single use plastic by taking your own reusable cutlery set with you.
- Reusable cutlery is more hygienic as you will not be eating off cutlery others may have touched.
- Made to last: Stainless steel cutlery sets will last indefinitely when looked after and cleaned regularly.
How to choose a reusable travel cutlery set?
Do you want to use something light like bamboo spoons? Or would you prefer something stronger like stainless steel? Will you be using your cutlery mostly in the office or when on the go? Do you need something kid friendly?
These are some of the questions you need to ask yourself before making a purchase.
Carry cutlery sets can be made from many different materials.
- Stainless Steel Cutlery: Food grade stainless steel is perfect for cutlery. It is durable, stain-resistant and can be used for piping hot food. Reusable cutlery set stainless steel Australia are ideal for long trips.
- Reusable Wooden Cutlery Set: If you're looking for something more lightweight, wooden spoon and fork sets are ideal but they require handwashing. They won't last as long as a stainless steel set and need to be cleaned more carefully to ensure longevity.
- BPA free Recycled Plastic: cutlery sets made from recycled plastic can last forever and also offer a lightweight kid friendly alternative to metal.
- Food Grade Silicone: silicone cutlery is growing in popularity as it is soft, hard wearing and dishwasher safe, perfect for all family members.
Bamboo or Birchwood are often used due to their strength and ease of carving. Recycled plastic or silicone sets are ideal for kids as their edges are not sharp.
The most important thing to consider when buying cutlery is the material. Also look out for washability and extra features like cases/pouches for storage.
How to care for your reusable bamboo cutlery?
Bamboo spoons require easy maintenance. You can wash them with warm soapy water and allow them to dry fully between uses. Note that most bamboo dinnerware are not dishwasher safe. Alternatively, clean your cutlery with vinegar. Just mix three tablespoons of vinegar in one cup of water. Rinse and wipe off afterwards. Never soak wooden cutlery in water
Bamboo forks and spoons should be allowed to air-dry completely before you put them away. Even though bamboo is a grass which is naturally resistant to moisture, it is best to store them in a cool, dry place.
Best Reusable Cutlery Sets in Australia
There are many types of reusable cutlery sets available in the market. It can be tricky to decide which set is suitable for you. That's why we've rounded up the best reusable travel cutlery sets Australia has to offer.
Here are our top picks:
Ever Eco Cutlery Set is perfect for your on-the-go needs! The durable and sustainable construction means you can guiltlessly enjoy a picnic, road trip or outdoor concert. Plus, the included carry case makes it easy to keep everything together.
- Simple: This knife, fork and spoon set is perfect if you are looking for something simple.
- Travel Friendly: Ever Eco's portable set comes with an organic cotton pouch.
- Saves Space: The set is made from bamboo and is lightweight and compact. It will easily fit small pockets of your backpacks and handbags.
- Not Dishwasher Safe: You should handwash your wooden cutlery.
- Packaging: Ever Eco packs their orders in cardboard boxes made from recycled materials. The boxes are FSC certified.
Eco Basic's Reusable Straw and Cutlery Set is the perfect way to reduce single-use plastics while out. The set comes with a bamboo knife, fork, spoon, straw, straw cleaning brush and chopsticks.
- All in one: This one person cutlery set has everything you need. The chopsticks and reusable straw are a cherry on top!
- Foldable Pouch: The pouch neatly folds and saves space in your bags.
- Affordable: At $11.95, the cutlery container case is more pocket friendly than other options.
- BPA free: Made from 100% bamboo and free from toxins.
- Easy Maintenance: Wash food residue off with water and set the utensils out to air dry for easy cleaning.
If you're looking for chic, reusable metal cutlery set to take on your travels, or want to ditch those plastic forks and knives in favour of something sustainable, then check out Retro Kitchen's stainless steel set.
- Stain Resistant: This metal cutlery is stain-resistant which makes cleaning them a hassle-free job while travelling. Moreover, they are dishwasher safe.
- Made from food-grade stainless steel: Food grade stainless steel ensures no nasties leach from your utensils. It is odour free too.
- Practical: The outdoor cutlery set comes with everything from straws to spoons to chopsticks - you name it!
- Easy to carry: The cutlery tin comes with a fabric pouch for easy storage.
- Perfect Eco Gift: The tins by Retro Kitchen are available in an array of beautiful patterns. It makes for a lovely gift!
The only downside is that this cutlery carrying case is a little expensive compared to other options. But as the box will last for years, it's a worthwhile investment.
When it comes to reusable cutlery set with straw, there are a lot of options on the market. But if you're looking for a high-quality set that will last you a long time, Nice and Nifty is a great choice.
- Perfect for work and school: The set comes with a handy carrying case so you can take it with you on the go and is ideal for taking it to work or school. Whether you're an eco-conscious traveller or just looking for an alternative to disposable cutlery, this set is worth checking out.
- Lightweight: The box only weighs 0.25kg.
- Includes all essentials: The cutlery tin contains a fork, knife, spoon, set of chopsticks, straw and brush cleaner.
- Affordable: Stainless steel cutlery boxes can be a little expensive. At $9.96, these are some of the most inexpensive options available.
- Aesthetic Prints: The aqua bee print of this reusable cutlery set with case is a must-have if you are looking for something visually appealing.
Kappi's travel utensil set is lightweight and great to use for office lunches and quick to-go meals. This bamboo set includes a fork, spoon, knife and a pair of chopsticks.
- Odour Resistant: Many portable, reusable cutlery sets made from wood have a woody aftertaste. Kappi's bamboo utensils are free from any such odours and tastes.
- Free from polish: Wood requires proper oiling for maintenance. Many brands use varnish to maintain the shine of their wooden dinnerware. However, this eco cutlery set is unvarnished. You can oil it yourself with coconut or olive oil.
- Long-lasting: Although bamboo is a sustainable material, many bamboo utensils degrade when not taken care of.
- Comes with a drawstring bag: The cutlery set comes housed in a cotton mesh bag.
The only drawback of this set is that the paint chips off easily.
Reduce your plastic consumption with Biome's reusable cutlery and straw.
- Practical: The cutlery container case is made with everyday use in mind. You will get a stainless straw and cleaning brush, a napkin, fork, knife and spoon.
- Made from certified organic cotton: The cotton napkin and drawstring bag are made from organic cotton. No pesticides or other chemicals were used in its production.
- Rounded lip Stainless Steel Straw: The edges of the rosegold/ silver straw are rounded so that no injuries occur while sipping your favourite iced coffee.
- MOSO Bamboo: The bamboo used is not eaten by pandas. This means that no pandas stay hungry for the sake of these utensils.
Making the switch to a Reusable Cutlery and Straw Set
When it comes to zero-waste living, beginning with the smallest changes is the best. That way, you can easily transition into a waste free life without any shock.
Using reusable items like stainless steel coffee cups, reusable straws, and cutlery greatly benefits our environment. The brands we have reviewed offer some of the most affordable and quality eco products. They offer plastic-free packaging, and give back to communities in different ways.
We hope this blog helped you make an informed decision. Thank you for reading!