Most would agree that there is nothing better than coming home to a sparkling clean house. The journey to get there is often dirty work and you want products which you can rely on to get the job done fast.
As a result, many off the shelf conventional cleaning products contain harsh chemicals like phthalates, chlorine, and sodium hydroxide which can be harmful to your family and the environment. Cleaning is important for a healthy lifestyle and you need to consider whether the toxins in your cleaning products are doing more harm than good.
Not only are the mainstream cleaning products a storehouse of toxins, but they also wash millions of microplastics down the drain post-use. Many manufacturers claim a small amount of toxins are safe, but the impacts of constant daily exposure are largely unknown.
For any eco-conscious consumer, most commercial cleaning products are to be avoided, due to the devastating impact on the planet and its people. The good news is that, according to Evolve Cleaning, “More cleaning businesses in Australia are taking a green approach to service provision. This includes the use of eco-friendly cleaning products and environmentally friendly waste disposal methods.” As consumers become more aware of the mark conventional cleaning are leaving on the planet, more and more eco friendly products are becoming available in Australia.
Here are some of the reasons why we recommend switching to eco friendly products, and some of our favourite brands.
Advantages of using eco-friendly products
Protection against toxins
The prime advantage of environmentally friendly products is that they do not have harmful chemicals that may impact your health. Using a sustainable cleaning product means you are less likely to react with itchy eyes or skin rashes. Many chemical detergents and household cleaners penetrate your skin and can aggravate skin conditions. Many sustainable cleaning products are hypoallergenic and contain natural plant-based formulas.
Green cleaning products, often require less processing and are less expensive than commercial chemical cleaning products as they are made of natural ingredients like lemon and baking soda etc.
Using green products that are made from natural ingredients will reduce the air pollution and water pollution created by harsh chemical cleaning products. Many natural cleaners are packaged in reusable, recyclable and recycled packaging which means less strain on landfill.
You can clean to your hearts content using a green cleaner without guilt, knowing that it was not tested on animals.
Less indoor pollution
Pollutants from chemicals can build up in your home to form toxic indoor air pollution. Using a natural product which doesn’t release fumes means you can breathe easily at home.
Best Eco-Friendly Cleaning Brands
There are several eco-friendly product stores in Australia that are dedicated to bringing the best non-toxic products to your doorsteps. Here is a list of eco-friendly cleaning products for you to choose from.
Launched in Sydney in 2017, Koala Eco provides 100% plant-based cleaning products made with pure Australian essential oils. Koala Eco is committed to being sustainable on all fronts, and make all their products in Australia. Their range of toxin-free products covers all areas from the kitchen, bathroom to the laundry as well as multipurpose cleaners.
- Starter Collection at $48.32 : Koala Eco’s starter pack includes a dish soap, a multi-purpose kitchen cleaner and a bottle of laundry wash. Their signature lemon myrtle and mandarin scent leaves your house smelling fresh while you clean.
- 1% per cent of every product sold is donated to 1% for the planet.
- Supports WWF Australia as a partner in conservation.
- All packaging is made from recycled materials and is recyclable, they also offer refills for a number of their products.
Blueland Cleaning Products
Blueland began with the belief that you should not have to choose between a clean home and a clean planet. They offer a multitude of household cleaning products in the form of starter and refill kits. Blueland re-imagines cleaning by minimising the need to repurchase bottles of cleaning products by offering refills in a tablet form instead. When your product runs out you add the tablets to your existing bottle, add water and away you go. The waste is just a small compostable wrapper for your tablets, the bottles are designed to last.
- The Clean Suite Starter Kit at $83: The eco-friendly cleaning kit comes with an array of products that take care of all your cleaning needs. Some of these include laundry detergent tablets, hand soap tablets and more. You have an option of purchasing smaller kits that start at $16 as well.
- The dish soap powder, hand soap tablets and laundry tablets are hypoallergenic
- Blueland packaging is recyclable, and their tablet wrappers are compostable and biodegradable.
- If you are unable to properly recycle your Forever Bottle, Blueland takes it back free of charge and will recycle it on your behalf.
Zero Co Australia
Zero Co embarked on its journey towards green cleaning by becoming the most funded Australian Kickstarter project of 2019. Ever since its inception, Zero Co has provided quality home-cleaning and personal care products. What we love is their pledge to clean the planet with sustainable cleaning alternatives. All Zero Co refill pouches and dispensers are made from the recycled plastic pulled out from oceans and landfills.
- Zero Co Starter Box at $159.00 : The zerowaste box contains all the products offered by Zero Co. The starter pack can last for 2-3 months in a four member family. Some of the products housed in the box are the stain removers, bathroom cleaners, handwash etc. Zero Co also offers starter boxes made specifically for cleaning kitchens and bathrooms as well.
If you want to learn more about ZERO Co & ZERO Co starter packs, click the link below.
- Just like the milk man used to do, you send your empty refills back to Zero Co in a reply paid satchel and they will clean them and refill them
- Grey water safe and palm oil free
- Made in Australia, plant based formula, cruelty free and vegan
- Launched the campaign “Ocean 21” with an aim to pull 21 tonnes of ocean bound plastic to be made into forever bottles in 2021.
Built with the motto of “doing more, with less”, you can replace dozens of cleaning products with just a single bottle of Seed Organic cleaner that works as a cleaner and disinfectant. Their product line includes personal care, pet care and home & office cleaners. Harnessing the power of nature, Seed Organics products are irritant free and eco-friendly.
- Products are USEPA (United States Environment Protection Agency) certified, and MPI (Ministry for Primary Industries) approved as Killing 99.9999% of Viruses, Germs & Bacteria
- Non-toxic, plant based, eco friendly.
- Australian made and owned
- Bottles are made from 100% recycled plastic.
Cheeki, known for its reusable stainless-steel bottles, tumbler and straws created Change Tabs as a response to the unending plastic crisis. Change makes green-cleaning a reality through its tablet-based refill cleaning. Change’s cleaning tablets can be simply dissolved in water to create a cost-effective cleaning product with minimal waste. This line includes tablets for your washing machine, multi-purpose cleaners, hand-sanitisers, glass cleaner, and water bottles for a powerful clean.
- Essential Cleaning Kit at $44.95 : The plastic free living kit by Change brings you the absolute essentials of cleaning. You will get repeat bottles with different cleaning tablets meant for washing machine, water bottles etc.
- Lightweight products mean reduced carbon footprint in distribution and production
- The refill packs and starter kit boxes are 100% recyclable
Cove Cleaning is another brand that readily provides refills for their products. The refill system ensures that as much as 80% less plastic is used in production. Clove Cleaning cleaners come in aluminium bottles. Aluminium is one of the most recycled material in Australia and hence a great plastic alternative.
- The Cove Starter Kit at $69.95: To promote the refill and reuse habit among their consumers, Cove’s starter kit comes with a free Travel Cup originally priced at $39. The box is a perfect eco gift which includes surface spray, laundry liquid, glass spray and bathroom cleaner.
- Partnered with REDcycle to recycle all the pouches sent back.
- All ingredients used are grey water and septic safe.
Pleasant state was born as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic. Amidst the difficulties of the pandemic, its founders set out to find the best solutions to the plastic crisis. Their cleaning bars eliminate the use of about 90% water. This significantly reduces the carbon emissions through transportation. Pleasant State tabs and bars are offered in a variety of kits.
- The Full House Kit at $67.50: The pack features all the eco-cleaners produced by Pleasant State from bars to towels. The bottles are drop protected which means that they don’t get damaged easily. Some of the additional benefits include free postage and money back guarantee.
- Donates 20% of the profit to the charity Take 3 For The Sea.
- Provides 30-day money back guarantee under return and refund policy.
The Urthly Organic story began in 1997 and since then has provided quality products cherished by many Aussie homes. Their huge range of products include bath and body care, kitchen cleaners, natural soaps to name a few.
- The Essential Cleaning Bundle at $150: Among other cleaning bundles, this is bundle is made for beginners. Avoid commercial products and enjoy cleaning with 100% plant based products. The bundle includes cleaners like toilet bombs, stainless steel pegs, laundry powder etc.
- Actively donates for various charities. Some of these include CanTeen, Gippsland Emergency Relief Fund etc.
- Products are toilet compost safe and recyclable
These brands provide some of the most popular eco-friendly environmental products in the market. While choosing a brand you want to commit to, there are multiple factors to consider depending on what you value the most. All of the brands bring sustainability to your cleaning ritual in different ways- some offer product refills, some source all green ingredients in Australia, while others provide a plastic free cleaning from production to packaging.
Some of these brands bring you different beginner packs to kickstart your sustainable journey. These can also serve as sustainable gifting options for Christmas, housewarming gift, corporate gifts etc.
Read on to find some of the most recommended eco friendly products Australia has to offer in terms of cleaning. You can purchase these products from an eco shop online, as well as instore.
Other Recommended Natural Home Cleaning Products
Next time you need to stock up on cleaning supplies, be sure to check out these natural cleaning products for a hassle-free cleaning experience.
Ecostore Dishwasher Tablets ($14.99)
Safe for people with multiple chemical sensitivity, ecostore dishwasher tablets are made from plant-based ingredients. Having a built-in rinse aid, the tablets are suitable for all dishwashing machines including the dish drawer. Each tablet is wrapped in a dissolvable wrapper and offers plant and mineral-based powerful stain removal.
With the mellow scent of essential oils, Counter Culture’s all-purpose cleaners work on tough stains just the way probiotics work in our body. This green cleaner can be used on most surfaces like chairs, toys, sinks - you name it! With no artificial colour and fragrance, you don’t have to worry about worsening allergies and indoor air quality when you use this vegan cleaner.
Koala Eco’s multipurpose cleaner is the power of Australian essential oils in action. Safe to use on your kitchen appliances like oven, dishwasher, food storage jars and cooking area, the natural cleaner brings the scent of the bush to your kitchen with its lemon myrtle and mandarin smell. Each bottle which houses Koala Eco Cleaners is made from 100% recycled plastic, meaning it diverts waste from landfill.
That Red House Organic Soapberries ($15.95)
Soapberries are what you can call “nature’s soap” and made a fantastic natural laundry detergent. They are made from the fruit of the tree “Sapindus Mukorossi”, which is concentrated with saponin which has natural cleansing properties. Soapberries are remarkably effective alternative to traditional detergents and fabric softeners. Ideal for those with sensitive skin and various skin conditions, soapberries are hypoallergenic and have anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.
Fighting the grease on pans should not mean saying goodbye to soft hands. Resparkle’s dishwashing liquid is driven by the exact idea. They create natural cleaning products which use only the best plant-based ingredients. The kit includes reusable, silicon-protected glass bottle with natural dish wash concentrate in a refill sachet. You just need to add water to create a plant-based toxin free dishwashing liquid.
This all-natural soap bar is made from soapberries and will effectively clean your glassware, ceramics, and plastics as well as any commercial cleaning product. On top of that, it can also be used as a hand soap! Available with Pink Grapefruit or Lemon Myrtle Essential Oil, That Red House Chunky Block is a waste free alternative that replaces the need to have different soaps for different purposes.
Packed with the goodness of plant oils like lemongrass, peppermint, olive and sunflower, the Australian Natural Soap Company Dish and Laundry Soap is great for travellers! This multipurpose soap can also be combined with hot water to form a cleaning paste or used directly on your dish brush or sponge. The fragrance from essential oils lets you indulge in aromatic bliss without the stress of skin irritation and leaves you with a smoother skin.
The ANSC Laundry Soap Flakes bring your clothes to life, leaving them fresh with natural fragrances! Suitable for both a front or top loader washing machine, this washing powder is biodegradable and greywater friendly. ANSC is a great choice for your family, as no chemicals in touch with your body when you wear your clothes.
Perfect for handwashing your delicates and a great choice for travellers who want a soap that cleans it all. Ethique’s Laundry and Stain Remover is made with 100% biodegradable ingredients, pure essential oils, and white kaolin clay to get rid of stubborn stains.
Clean in a greener way
The brands and products we have talked about are conscious of your family and the planet’s needs. These alternatives to traditional cleaners work just as effectively and pave a way for a cleaner planet. Many brands also give back to communities and socio-environmental causes. For those who are in market for environment-conscious products for the first time, these products are worth checking out.
By choosing plant-based cleaners you are reducing your exposure to harmful chemicals and curbing the release of microplastics and single-use plastic into our oceans. We hope this blog helped you choose your next all-natural cleaner. Happy Cleaning!