Phone cases help protect cell phones from damage and daily wear. It has become more than just a case to help protect the phone in recent times. But also a style statement. People use their phones for an average of two years. But they replace the case more often than that.
Many phone covers are made to be thrown away. That means they end up as garbage and make our waste problem worse. While there is a significant debate on the impact of disposable plastic cups and straws, there is little research on how harmful plastic phone cases are.
By switching to compostable phone cases instead, we help reduce the waste accumulated worldwide each year.
A guide to eco-friendly phone cases.
Compostable cases are biodegradable and eco-friendly. They break down without harsh chemicals. Vegan phone cases last for years before needing replacement. So, you can feel confident knowing your purchase is helping reduce waste and protecting your device at the same time!
Are phone cases bad for the environment?
Plastic mobile covers are not good for the environment. They are made from non-biodegradable material.
- Harmful for the planet
When the protective cases are not disposed of properly, they end up in our oceans. They break into toxins and microplastics, which marine animals consume.
- Harmful for the people
Plastic also contains harmful chemicals like BPA and Phthalates. These chemicals cause health problems such as hormonal imbalance etc.
Different types of eco-friendly phone cases.
What are eco-friendly phone cases made of? Eco-phone cases are made from different materials such as-.
- Bioplastics: Bioplastics are plastics made from renewable sources such as corn starch. Microorganisms can quickly decompose them. Hence, they are environmentally friendly. Their production releases fewer greenhouse gases too.
- Recycled Materials: Recycled phone cases are made from plastic bottles and other materials that would have gone in the trash.
- Compostable Phone Cases: Natural phone cases are a simple way to reduce your carbon footprint. Materials such as bamboo, cork etc., are used to make these cases. They are 100% biodegradable.
Best Eco-friendly Phone Cases
Here is a list of the most sustainable phone cases in Australia. With this switch, we can use tech in a greener way!
Pela Phone Cases ($64-$79)
Pela Smartphone Cases are the world's first compostable phone covers. They use flax straws, biopolymers, and recycled material to make their cases. The cases come with a textured grip which makes them easy to hold. The lightweight phone cases are available in many pastel shades and patterns.
You can put it in your backyard compost when you are done with your Pela Case. You can also send it to the Pela 360 program. They will recycle them into new products.
- Sustainability: Pela gives back to the community by supporting different organisations. Some of them include 1% for the Planet, MedShare, Me to We, Surfrider etc. Their projects are directed towards various causes- from providing clean drinking water in Kenya to providing Covid19 reliefs to waste management.
- Eco-Material Used: The smartphone cases are made from flax straw and biopolymers.
- Toxin Free: The cases are tested and are free from BPA, phthalates, cadmium, and lead.
- Strength and Durability: The cover is made from "flax shive", making it shock absorbent.
- Device Compatibility: iPhone, Samsung, and limited Huawei models.
- Warranty: Pela offers a one-year replacement guarantee.
Pela Cases are a good choice for sustainable cases. They will help protect our devices and last long. However, they are costlier than some other Australian phone case brands.
Zagg Gear4 Cases for iPhones and Android ($63.96)
Zagg Gear4 cases effectively protect your phone from drops and falls. These cases for Androids and iPhones are durable and don't compromise on style. Zagg Gear4 makes its cases with vegan leather, recycled plastic, and D30 Biomaterials.
- Eco-friendly Raw Material: D30 is a common material used to make transparent phone covers. Zagg Gear4 uses D30 Bio instead. The production of D30 Bio consumes less water and fossil fuels than the former.
- Drop-Protected: Zagg Gear4 can protect your device if it falls from up to 16 feet.
- Anti-Microbial: The D30 Bio enjoys antimicrobial properties. It kills 99.9% of surface bacteria.
- Wireless Charging: Gear4 cases offer full compatibility with wireless charging systems. That means that you can drop your phone on a wireless charging pad and charge it without taking the case off.
- Device Compatibility: You can find a range of Mag Safe Compatible covers for iPhones and Galaxy phones.
Zagg is one of the best place to buy phone cases online. The anti-microbial case is a cherry on top during the pandemic. You don't need to sanitise your phone over and over in a day.
UAG Outback Bio Cases for iPhones ($55.00)
The Outback Series iPhone case is the first biodegradable and compostable case from UAG. The robust exterior can withstand scratches while offering complete protection for your phone at all times!
- Sustainable Material: The cases do not use traditional plastic. They are made from quality bioplastic.
- Sleek and Ergonomic Design: The design of these mobile covers makes them easy to hold. Whether you are holding one-handed or two, there are no uncomfortable positions for your hands.
- Camera Protection: The cell phone case has a bump to protect your camera lens.
- Durable: The phone meets military standards for durability. Moreover, the inside of the case features a honeycomb design. The structure protects your Apple phones by absorbing shock.
- No-waste Packaging: Bio Cases are housed in 100% recyclable boxes. UAG uses soy-based inks on the boxes. Recycling the containers is a breeze for the same reason.
If you are looking for a simple, classic design for your iPhone, Outback Series is a good place to start. The cases are easy to hold and they provide protection for your phone camera.
Case Mate's Eco94 iPhone Cases ($57.00)
Case-Mates Eco94 line is an alternative to hard plastic cases. These phone cases are made with recycled plastics etc. There are three types of cases under this product line-
- Eco94 Recycled: The Eco94 Recycled Cellphone Cases are made from plastic that has been recycled. The idea is to reuse the existing material for new products without creating any more plastic.
- Eco-Clear: Eco Clear Cases are made from bioplastics and traditional plastics.
- Eco94 Biodegradable: Case-Mate partnered with The Nature Conservancy to make these Eco94 Biodegradable iPhone cases. They are made from a plant-based material that can biodegrade completely. But Case-Mate does not say how long it takes for the case to break down.
Here are the features enjoyed by Case Mate's cases-
- Good Grip: Case-Mate's Eco9 cases have cushioned corners, so your screen is less likely to break if it falls. They also have soft, flexible sides, so they will be easier to hold and use.
- Lifetime Warranty: The phone cases are backed by a lifetime warranty.
- Stylish Prints: The phone cases for iPhone are available in an array of colours and patterns that are sure to stand out.
- Durable: These are made with solid material that protects the device from falls or bumps. They can even withstand a 10-foot drop without any damage!
- BPA Free: All the cases are made from bioplastics or recycled plastics, and they're 100% toxin-free.
- Devices Compatible: Eco94 cases are available for iPhone models and Pixel 4a.
The Eco94 Biodegradable Case is the best eco-case in the Eco94 product line. The cases are available for iPhone users, but there are limited options for Android users.
Minca Cases for iPhones ($35.00)
Minca makes their recyclable covers from natural wheat straw. You'll find a range of back covers, from minimalist designs to something bold. They're all designed with beautiful prints that match any taste in mind. If you are looking for eco-friendly phone cases Australia, Minca is worthy of your attention. The beautiful designs also make them the perfect eco-friendly gift!
- Earth-friendly: Minca cases use wheat straw and recyclable, reusable materials to make sustainable mobile covers.
- Flexible: The covers are easy to mount and unmount.
- Screen and Camera Protection: The raised bezel ensures screen and camera lens are safe from scratches.
- Wireless Charging Compatible: You don't have to remove the case to charge your phone.
- Customisation: Some of the Minca cases can be fully personalised!
- Devices Supported: iPhones
Minca phone cases and accessories are available in beautiful prints. They are also affordable, making them a good option to choose.
Greener Way to use Tech
Environmentally friendly phone cases allow us to limit our carbon footprint. They not only save the environment from unnecessary waste, but they also protect your phone from damage and scratches. The natural cases are hypoallergenic and do not contain any harmful chemicals.