Shampoo bars are a great way to get your hair clean and moisturised without harsh chemicals or artificial fragrances.
This blog post will explain why shampoo bars are a more sustainable choice than regular liquid shampoo. We have created a list of some the best all-natural shampoo bars and conditioners that you can purchase in Australia.
The impact of liquid shampoo bottles
There are many concerns with the use of conventional shampoos. Many contain chemicals which are bad for both people and the planet.
Harmful to the environment
- Pollutes Waterways: Many mass produced store-bought shampoos have harmful chemicals in them. When you rinse your hair, the chemicals go down the drain and water supply.
- Dangerous for aquatic life: Studies have found some chemicals found in personal care products can change the hormone levels in marine organisms. This can cause a variety of health problems for them.
- Plastic Packaging: Shampoo companies often use non-recyclable plastic bottles to hold their products. These end up on our beaches and landfills.
- Watered down: Liquid shampoo contains a lot of water which means they are not very concentrated and you have to use more of the product to get the desired result. This means more plastic waste and also more costly for consumers.
Harmful to your hair and skin
Some liquid shampoos can strip your hair of natural oils, so you have to buy a separate conditioner to make your hair smooth.
The synthetic ingredients found in most commercial hair care products are not suitable for most hair types. Some of the common ingredients to avoid are-
- Perfumes/ Fragrances: Many companies use "fragrances" to hide harmful chemicals. Artificial scents can lead to indoor air pollution and health problems like asthma, rashes, skin irritation etc.
- Parabens: It is best to switch to shampoo without parabens. Parabens are chemicals that are used to keep shampoo from going bad. Studies have shown that they disrupt hormones in the body creating negative health outcomes.
- Sulfates: Sulfates are chemicals used to clean the dirt and extra oil on your scalp. They also help shampoo to lather, however they leave your scalp dry and lead to frizzy hair.
- Phthalates: They help the product spread more easily and make the perfume stick to your scalp and hair. Phthalates have been related to causing hormonal imbalance in the body.
What is a shampoo bar?
A shampoo bar is a block of soap specially formulated for cleaning your hair. As the name suggests, they are different from bottled shampoo. The great thing about them is that they can be used as a cleansing and conditioning product. Not only are you getting a concentrated product with no plastic packaging, it lasts longer and eliminates the need for conditioners.
What makes a shampoo bar better than liquid shampoo?
Liquid shampoo bottles are notorious for filling up our landfill and containing harmful fillers and additives. So, what are the advantages of switching to a shampoo bar? There are many reasons why changing to a shampoo bar is the more sustainable choice for your hair care routine.
- Saves Money: Hair soaps last longer than their liquid counterparts. They are highly concentrated and you only need to use a tiny bit each time to create a generous lather. How long it will last will depend how often you wash your hair. On average, you can expect around 60-80 washes for an average size 100g bar. Moreover, as organic hair soaps are made of a blend of different oils, they nourish hair rather than striping it, which eliminates the need for a conditioner bar.
- Travel Friendly: You can find many shampoo bars in tin. They are easy to carry while travelling and are solid which means they are also leakproof! You don't need to play Tetras with all your toiletries as they take up hardly any space in your bag, you can also cut the bar and take a small piece with you so you don't have any waste.
- Cleanse & Condition: Shampoo blocks effectively clean residue build-ups. The nourishing oils in natural soap bars moisturise dry or itchy scalps. You can use just one eco soap bar for both your needs!
How well do shampoo bars work?
Are all-natural shampoo bars good for you? Natural shampooing bars are long-lasting and hypoallergenic. You need to rub the bar on your wet scalp and wash your hair as you usually would. You will notice frizz-free hair after two to three washes.
The best part is that the essential oils of these bars deeply nourish all hair types- straight, thin, curly, coloured- you name it!
There are many different types of bars available to suit all hair types and just like regular shampoo you may need to try a few before you find the right fit for your hair type.
Can you use a shampoo bar every day?
The Short Answer: It is up to you. However, it is recommended that you only wash your hair every 2 - 3 days.
The Long Answer: Every individual has different needs. The best hair care ritual is the one that feels right to you. There are many opinions on how much one should shampoo their hair. Let us look at some of the points that will help you decide what works for you.
- Hair Length: If you have long hair, it can be a hassle to wash it daily. Short hair is easy to maintain and can be cleaned with or without soap every day.
- Hair Type: People with curly hair can experience frizziness when they wash their hair daily. It is best to wash your hair every three to four days in that case to keep the natural oils. Similarly, people with oily hair can wash their hair whenever it starts feeling heavy.
- Type of Shampoo Bar: Many hair wash bars are made to treat specific conditions like dandruff, itchiness, etc. It is not recommended to use such bars every other day. Excessive use can strip your hair of its natural pH balance.
Which is the best shampoo bar for curly hair?
Do you have dry, frizzy hair? Shampoo With a Purpose is a bar of soap that cleans your hair and helps to get rid of dandruff. It's made with natural ingredients, and it's perfect for people who want to take care of their hair without using harsh chemicals.
Curly hair needs proper maintenance to avoid getting unruly. The OG Shampoo/Conditioner Bar is perfect for people with curly hair types.
The bars work great, but they're also super convenient to take with you wherever you go. Whether at the pool or travelling the world, the bars will keep your hair looking and feeling its best.
Which brand has the best All Natural & Plastic Free Shampoo Bar?
If you’re looking for a shampoo bar that is all-natural and plastic-free, we highly recommend giving one of the bars from Shampoo with a Purpose a try.
Not only will you be doing your part to help the environment, but your hair will thank you too! Their hair care line includes shampoos, conditioners and oils for different hair types.
They also ship completely plastic-free!
Some of the Best Shampoo Bars Available in Australia & New Zealand
Give your hair a break and try the sustainable switch to shampoo bars! Here's a list of some natural, vegan-friendly soap bars to consider.
We have explained the benefits of different ingredients found in these eco- products.
The ANSC Original Solid Shampoo Bar is chemical-free and is made with Australian plants extracts and essential oils. This bar will nourish your hair and scalp. It also protects existing oils necessary for healthy hair growth.
- Lathers quickly
- Suitable for dyed, dry and curly hair types
- Comes in compostable and recyclable packaging
- Free from chemicals like parabens
- Certified cruelty-free
- Saponified Coconut Oil: The saponified coconut oil helps to create a bubbly, silky lather that is perfect for smoothing between strands and washing away any dirt, dandruff, or debris. It helps maintain moisture levels for longer.
- Sweet Almond Oil: Almond oil makes your hair healthy, shinier and lustrous. It provides moisture to both the hair and the scalp. Massage your scalp in rotation while you shampoo. It helps reduce breakage, split ends, and dryness.
- Grapeseed Oil: Grapeseed oil is a natural remedy for hair loss.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil soap is suitable for your hair because it contains a lot of antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins.
- Petitgrain Oil: It helps reduce the amount of sebum your scalp produces. The oil also stops the production of 5 alpha-reductase, a chemical that can cause male pattern baldness.
- Patchouli Oil: Patchouli essential oil has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. This makes it a good choice for people who have scalp and skin issues.
- Mandarin Oil: Gives a refreshing, natural scent while treating hair loss.
The 2 in 1 solid conditioner bar and shampoo by Shampoo with a Purpose is all you need for healthy hair! One concentrated bar is equal to six shampoo bottles and one conditioner bottle! Think of the positive environmental impact plus the money you will save!
- Australian made
- Protects hair against sun damage
- Come in a recyclable packaging
- Suitable for use in colder months (See ingredients list below)
- Slightly more expensive than other options
- Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate: It is a gentle and safe surfactant that can be used on your skin. It has a conditioning effect on your skin and hair, making it soft and smooth. Sodium cocoyl isethionate is a non-toxic, non-allergic, and non-irritating ingredient to be used on your skin.
- Plant Origin Glycerin: Glycerin can help reduce breakage, make hair grow longer faster, and keep hair healthy. It helps to get rid of itchy scalp, especially during colder months.
- Coconut Fragrance: Coconut fragrance is created by adding coconut essential oil to products like soaps, conditioners, oils etc.
- Coconut Oil: Helps to deeply nourish your hair follicles and fight all kinds of problems with your scalp.
- Moroccan Argan Oil: It protects the scalp against UV radiations and colour damage.
- Shea Butter: Shea butter makes hair thicker if you have thin hair but want it to look fuller.
Viva la body bars are great for those who want salon-quality results without all the hassle! These solid shampoo bars offer an easy way to maintain the hair.
- Palm-oil free
- No animal testing
- Suitable for people living in hot areas
- Perfect for use on colour-treated hair
- Biodegradable ingredients
- Suitable for dry, flaky or sensitive scalp
- African Shea Butter: It is a hydrator and protects the hair from heat damage.
- Hemp Oil: Hemp oil is rich in omega 3, 6, and 9 fatty acids, which are necessary for hair growth. Massaging your scalp with hemp oil can help promote blood circulation and hair growth.
- Green Clay: Green clay is a type of clay that helps eliminate any toxins on your scalp. It also conditions and nourishes your hair.
- Castor Oil: Helps increase blood flow to the scalp, promoting healthier hair growth.
- Candella Wax: Candelilla wax is a good source of nutrients that your scalp and hair can absorb. It also creates a barrier to prevent moisture loss, making your hair look glossy and healthy.
- Peppermint Oil: Peppermint oil can increase circulation to the area it is applied to. This can help promote hair growth during the anagen (or growing) phase.
Looking for a new, all-natural soap? Urthly Organic is a perfect choice! The natural hair care soap is made with only the finest ingredients. Plus, they support Australian local businesses, growers, and communities.
- Vegan-friendly shampoo bar
- Suitable for normal to sensitive skin type
- Prevents ageing affects on hair
- Can be used as an all-purpose body soap
- Needs dry storage
- Easy to work into scalp
- Easy to hold
- Lavender Essential Oil: Prevents hair thinning that is associated with ageing.
- Rosemary Essential Oil: The oil helps prevent premature greying.
- Saponified Oils: Saponified oil is simply a type of oil that has been turned into soap. It's an excellent choice for hair care products because it's gentle and effective, plus it's eco-friendly and sustainable.
- Macadamia Nut Oil: Macadamia oil contains fatty acids that help to add moisture to the hair. This is great for dry and frizzy hair, as macadamia oil is lightweight and non-greasy.
- Jojoba Oil: Jojoba oil is rich in vitamins and minerals that help to nourish hair, including vitamin C, B vitamins, vitamin E, copper, and zinc.
Ethique is here to save the day! Their solid and liquid shampoo bars are perfect for all hair types, whether you want a gentle cleanser or something more intense. You'll never have an issue finding what you are looking for because they've got it covered, from oily scalp issues to dandruff-prone scalps.
- Compostable Packaging
- Weighs down strands less than other products
- Ingredients work together to cleanse and smooth hair shafts
- Suitable for normal to dry hair types
- Protects against colour and heat damage
- Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate: Helps to clean hair and remove excess dirt and oils without leaving behind any residue. It has a very mild pH level of 6-7, making it gentle on your scalp and hair.
- Sodium coco-sulphate: It is made from the fatty acids of coconut oil, so it is a good palm-free alternative to sodium lauryl sulphate.
- Coconut Butter: Coconut butter has a lot of good things in it, like saturated fat, fibre and protein. It also has iron, magnesium and potassium.
- DG: DG is a natural surfactant that comes from coconut and sugar. It helps to mix oil and water. DG is incredibly gentle for products made for children or infants.
- Lactic Acid: Ensures the ph balance in a product.
Make the transition to Zero- Waste Shampoo
If you’re looking to ditch the plastic bottles and switch to a more sustainable option, check out our zero-waste shampoo bars. They not only remove product build up in your scalp but also nourish it with natural ingredients. And they come in a variety of natural scents so you can find the perfect one for you.
We hope this blog helped you choose the best eco-hair product for you.