The first thing you need to know about natural deodorant is that it will not stop you from sweating. That’s because toxin free deodorants without aluminium are not antiperspirants, they do not plug up sweat glands. Instead they tackle body odour by absorbing moisture and the fighting bacteria which causes the odour.
Some believe Aluminium to be harmful as blocking sweat may make it harder for your body to remove toxins, the American Cancer Society says, “There are no strong epidemiologic studies in the medical literature that link breast cancer risk and antiperspirant use, and very little scientific evidence to support this claim.” But many still opt for natural deodorants since, as Doree Shafrir, writer and co-host of the podcast Forever35, explains, they “don’t block your pores and prevent your body from sweating, they allow ‘good’ bacteria to flourish so that you eventually become less stinky than before.”
Finding one that works for you may involve trial and error as we all sweat differently, have different skin sensitives and scent preferences. Many natural deodorants rely on baking soda to absorb moisture, for example, but too much baking soda may cause skin irritation in some people. We have broken down some natural deodorant brands to help you make up your mind which is best for you.
These brands are available in Australia & New Zealand and are plastic free, natural, vegan, cruelty free and use the power of nature to tackle odour without the need for harsh chemicals or synthetic fragrances.
1. The Physic Garden Deodorant pastes are:
- Completely natural and are super effective against body odor with just one application.
- Choose between bi-carb based Lavender & Lemon Myrtle scents or Fragrance & Bi-Carb free Deodorant with Magnesium for sensitive skin,
- 100% plastic-free deodorant
- Australian made deodorant
- Natural essential oil frangrances
- Paraben free, Triclosan free , Propylene Glycol free, Talc free, alcohol free & aluminium free
As these are in a tin jar you will need to apply this by hand or use an implement to apply.
2. Woohoo Body has both plastic free biodegradable cardboard deodorant sticks and deodorant pastes in a tin jar. Their Australian Made vegan deodorants are:
- 100% natural, biodegradable, cruelty free and fast acting to neutralise odour
- Their formula rubs on clear with no white marks or yellow stains and won’t sting after shaving.
- Their natural deodorant recipe is aluminum free, phthalates and parabens.
- 1 jar lasts can last up to 5 months.
- They have 4 formulas including a bi-carb free option all use a combination of magnesium hydroxide, zinc oxide, kaolin clay and polyglyceryl to absorb odour and bust BO.
- As their stick are in push action cardboard packaging they may stick from time to time requiring you to roll the tube before use.
For those not wanting to touch their pits this is a great affordable eco conscious choice.
3. Ethique's is a clean beauty brand which has 3 types of solid deodorant bars to keep you fresh and confident all day long, without using baking soda or aluminium. Instead, it's wonder natural ingredients keep smell away:
- magnesium hydroxide prevents the growth and spread of bacteria,
- zinc oxide is anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory and
- bamboo (which absorbs 200% its own weight in sweat and oil)
- while Jojoba & sweet almond both aid to soften underarms.
- Currently they have 3 natural deodorant in their range including an unscented, lime & eucalyptus and lavender & vanilla.
- Free from plastic, vegan friendly, cruelty free, made in New Zealand & palm oil free.
These 70g solid deodorant bars come in a biodegradable cardboard box, the downside is that they recommend you store your bar in a container to ensure it lasts, you will also have to use your hands or an implement to rub this onto your skin.
4. Biode’s just launched in June 2020 and has biodegradable natural deodorant sticks are designed to return to the earth with as little or no impact on our planet as possible. They currently have 2 options both with a eco friendly recycled paper cylinder both have a nourishing shea butter and coconut oil, one option is bi-carb free. Their products are:
- 100% Natural and Organic Ingredients
- 100% home compostable and biodegradable packaging
- Gender neutral scents
- Australian made and owned
- Tried & trusted formulations
- Synthetic and toxin-free
- Ethically manufactured
- Not tested on animals
Formulated with natural and certified organic ingredients from the earth that are safe to return to the earth, this deodorant is completely invisible and will not mark clothes. They are slightly more expensive at $19 per bar but with all organic and home compostable ingredients for some they may be worth the price tag. They are currently only available on their online store.
5. Routine Natural Goods is a Canadian brand which is available on Amazon AU. They have natural deodorant sticks and refillable glass jars. The deodorant sticks are cardboard on the outside and post-consumer recycled plastic on the outside. Their natural deodorant formula:
- A coconut oil base with non GMO corn starch, kaolin clay with a range of hydrating essential oils and butters for nourishing your under arms
- They have a range of strengths available with different levels of bi carb soda from maximum to none
- With a range of 7 sticks and 13 formulas in their glass jars you are bound to find something that works for you
- We offer 12 scents and 3 formulas (including vegan and sensitive skin) using only clean and wholesome ingredients.
- No aluminum zirconium, aluminum chlorohydrate, parabens, triclosan, or propylene glycol.
- Routine’s jar deodorant is applied in the same way as any other lotion. This alternative application method reduces bacterial contamination to the product, in turn making it effective to the very bottom of the jar.
- Each jar last 3-6 months with regular use.
- Always tested on friends, never animals.
The one downside of this range is that it's very expensive and is currently up to $50 for a single jar, the price tag is a big ask with other affordable Australian made options readily available.
We hope you found this blog helpful, you can shop our range of eco friendly skin care and natural deodorants here.