Have you noticed that the old ways of doing things are often the best? When it comes to shaving, many are making switching to an old-school metal or wooden razor which has replaceable stainless steel razor blades. The shift away from plastic razors is largely driven by people looking for a more sustainable and stylish alternative to cartridge razors.
Shaving has been a part of our grooming routines for a long time. We have evolved from shaving with whatever we could find from clamshells to shark teeth, to the era of convenience with Gillette and Schick offering a range of easily available disposable and cartridge razors. The impact of our razor consumption has led to an estimated 2 billion razor cartridges ending up in landfill in the US each year. As a result, we are now witnessing the rise of green razors. Safety razors promise a zero-waste shave that can outperform cartridge razors.What is a Safety Razor?
A safety razor or double edge razor is a shaver which has a protective device between the edge of the razor blade and the skin, this works to reduce the risk of cutting the skin thus allowing for injury-free shaving. They were invented in the 20th Century by King Camp Gillette and became popular as they allowed you to achieve a barber style close shave at home.
Double edge razors were originally marketed for men; however, they can be used to shave all areas and have quickly become a popular choice as a sustainable women’s razor.Types of Safety Razors
There are several different types of safety razors, finding the best shaving razor to suit your needs will depend on how frequently you shave and how sensitive your skin is. Here are some of the most popularly razor types:
- Closed Comb: a closed comb safety razor has a comb along the edge of the razor head, the comb has small grooves which help to guide the hair towards the blade. These razors offer a layer of protection between the skin and blade making them the best razors for beginners.
- Open Comb: an open comb razor also has a comb along the edge of the razor head, but the comb has small teeth which allow the blade to get closer to the skin and help to guide the hair towards the blade. These razors offer a closer shave than a closed comb while still offering a safety bar to protect you from cutting yourself.
- Butterfly Razor: butterfly razors are crafted from a single piece of metal, which make it extremely easy to replace the blade. Instead of contending with several pieces, you can just twist the knob at the base of the handle which opens the head, making replacing the blade a breeze.
- Adjustable Razor: In an adjustable razor you can adjust the closeness off your shave by changing the gap between the razor blade and the safety bar.
The main benefits of a safety razor are that they are economical and environmentally friendly. They are made to last and instead of your razor cartridges entering landfill, you can collect your stainless-steel razor blades for recycling. Other benefits of safety razors include:
- Kinder to your skin: Safety razors provide a smoother shave than multi blade razors. Using a single blade razor means the hair follicle is only cut once which reduces the risk of razor bumps and ingrown hairs. Safety razors minimize irritation and razor burns giving you a close and eco-friendly shave.
- Suitable for use on entire body: In addition to shaving your face, legs or underarms, these razors can also be used on sensitive areas. However, as the razor head does not pivot, you may need to go over an area for a different angle or pass over it a few time to catch all the hairs.
- Saves money: Investing in a quality double edge razor that is made to last, will save you money in the long run, razor blades are more affordable and easier to store in bulk than razor cartridges or disposable plastic razors.
- Environment friendly: Made from lasting materials such as metal, wood or resin, the razors blades can be recycled and are made from more sustainable materials – lessening their overall impact on the environment.
It can be daunting to use a safety razor for the first time as they are heavier than a conventional razor and you do not need to press them onto your skin. Once you get a hang of it, you’ll never go back, as you will love the gentle close shave. We recommend following these steps when using a safety razor for the first time:1. Prepare your skin
As part of your shaving regime, it is important to prep your skin by wetting it with warm water or applying a warm towel on the to-be-shaved area. This will help to open the hair follicle allowing for a closer, more comfortable shave.2. Apply a soap or shaving gel
Using a natural soap, shaving gel or other kind of lubricant will allow the blade to glide smoothly over your skin. Using a shaving soap will help the razor work effectively and help to moisturise your skin giving you a smooth, comfortable shave and great post-shave feel.3. Shave!
Shave in short, gentle strokes against the direction of the hair growth without applying pressure. The weight of the sustainable razor is enough to provide a close shave. It is also important to position the razor at a 45-degree angle to allow the blade to get close enough to the skin without touching it. Ensure that you avoid any quick swipes up and down.4. Rinse and Dry
After use, rinse the razor with warm water to remove any soap, gel or hair and gently shake off excess moisture and towel dry. If required, you can use a small brush to clean your razor of any embedded dirt. Do not forget to take them out of the shower after use and store them somewhere dry, this will ensure longevity and optimum hygiene.
By switching to plastic free razor, you can reduce the amount of waste entering landfill. As well as the environmental impact you can also save money over time, enjoy a close gently shave, reduced chance of nicks and cuts making the investment worthwhile. An eco-friendly razor is a must have for the eco-conscious consumers.